Thursday, September 15, 2005

Some thoughts on fatherhood

As I type this - my baby boy is lying on my chest in a fetal position, fast asleep. He's all warm after a good feed and he smells so sweet. My hand covers his entire back. It's really hard to explain what this feels like. I can hear his little short breaths. Every now and again he'll breathe in and breathe out a little sigh. He'll twitch every now again. It struck me that the little movements he is making now are probably the same he made in the womb. I suppose that for Mommy, feeling the kicks and twitches would feel a bit like it does now, but only deeper and further down. Amazing.

The experience of becoming a father has been a gradual realisation of a few things. Each day I realise more and more how much I love this little boy. There's no length that I wouldn't go to for him. I would walk 1000 miles for him. I would work 100 jobs if I had to, just to provide for him. I'd give my life to protect him.
I've never had much time for babies before, but I'd give all my time for this one.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are amazing little creatures, aren't they? You would never think in a million years that you could love someone so small with every inch of your being, huh? Being a parent is a true blessing from God. Anyways, different note...my family will be traveling to Germany next year for vacation and to visit a cousin would you suggest any travel info as far as what airplane company to choose or where to travel around europe? e-mail me to let me know please
tuttle@kcweb.net thanks!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Andy Michael said...

I also went from being wonder-struck to being whimsical.
I'm that kind of guy.

I do that sometimes. I evolve. I adapt. I jump on the natural selection train. Survival of the fittest.
What can I say - I'm a survivor.

The End.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Tom and Leah said...

that's your baby forever andy! how amazing. how astounding. do you stare at him all day? he's everything a baby should be. perfect.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Andy Michael said...

I find myself just looking at him as he sleeps. He's so peaceful and perfect.
Yep - he's everything a baby should be. I want to be everything a Dad should be.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Happy In Bag said...

The mother and baby photo says more than words could ever express.

1:28 PM  
Blogger timsamoff said...

I love the photo in this post... So delicate. Wow.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Tom and Leah said...

it really is amazing until you're changing his diaper and all of a sudden he pees in your face, and then you think "hmm, urine is not designed as a facial cleanser."
leah

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful baby!! Congratulations to you three!

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home