Thursday, August 18, 2005

Pre-baby tips?


As I was listening, last night, to 'You've got a friend in me' by Randy Newman (also the hit song from Toy Story) I began to become very excited about having a little boy of my own. After a few false alarms of running to the hospital and being sent home again - I am finally staring reality in the face.

I am going to be a Dad. A Father.

Here's what dictionary.com threw up at me.
fa·ther
1. A man who begets or raises or nurtures a child.
2. A male parent of an animal.
3. A male ancestor.
4. A man who creates, originates, or founds something: Chaucer is considered the father of English poetry.
5. An early form; a prototype.
6. Father Christianity.
1. God.
2. The first person of the Christian Trinity.
7. An elderly or venerable man. Used as a title of respect.
8. A member of the senate in ancient Rome.
9. One of the leading men, as of a city: the town fathers.
10. or Father A church father.
11. Abbr. Fr.
1. A priest or clergyman in the Roman Catholic or Anglican churches.
2. Used as a title and form of address with or without the clergyman's name.

The baby could come at any time - the clock is ticking. I've been reading this book 'Becoming a Dad', published by the wonderful Relevant Books. which I highly recommend to any father, or father-to-be.
The purpose of this post is to get some advice or thoughts on things that you would recommend that I do in this 'pre-baby' time that I have left. What sort of things should I prepare for? What do you wish you had known before your first child was born?

5 Comments:

Blogger Addie said...

You know I don't really have any advice to give you. It's kinda like jumping into a pool for the first time. You just gotta do it and then you'll adjust to the temperature after a bit. However, I was so excited for you guys that I had to post.

Tell your wifee poo that I love her and am thinking about her and praying for her right now. You guys are gonna be great. Have fun!

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's amazing! hard, fun, exausting, and nothing like you think it's going to be. throw out your books, role models, and dive in baby! You'll be great!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Addie said...

OK here's my one tip. (I was thinking about this last night as we were up until 1 amish...I think Ben was up even later than that.) Anyway just know that it will probably be really difficult for about the first 12 weeks and then one day you'll realize "Hey this has gotten easier. I think we're getting the hang of this." Even with a good baby, it's still hard to adjust.
So just remember that the first 12 weeks are not the reality of having kids.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Happy In Bag said...

I encourage you to have one last fling before the big day. Maybe a quick trip to Wales... Good luck!

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am happy for you in all, but I don't really have advice, since I have never been there, but why were you listening to Randy Newman. Seriously? Randy Newman...

Anyone seen the Family Guy with Randy Newman...hillarious!
listen below...

http://www.sccmortgage.com/newman.mp3

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home