Saturday, November 19, 2005

Drink coffee and win!

If I said "I hate coffee so much." that would be me lying. I really like coffee a lot. My favorite coffee is the Roastery Espresso blend. I once went house to house down my street knocking on doors and throwing handfuls of beans, point blank, at anyone who would open their door to me.
I have to tell you about the greatest espresso in Kansas City, in my opinion. Yes, I know there are talented Baristas in little poor hidden coffee shops across Westport, Downtown and Midtown - but if you ever find yourself at the new Roastery coffee shop in Brookside - you will get the best espresso around. I even actually heard someone once say the words "I like the Roastery coffee flavour." Amazing! Particularly this blend (which they use for all coffee drinks in the shop).
This handy little can is jam full of beans (LOOK! You can even see the beans packed through the tin at the top!!). No more folding and unfolding of those pesky bags. Buy this tin...and win!! When you've finished the contents - just buy the beans in those pesky bags and pour them in! Pour them in...and win! Don't add gin...and win!

Here are some interesting facts about coffee.

Vincent Van Gogh was a big frequenter of the café society and famously said “I have tried to show the café as a place where one can go mad.”
* Pope Clement VIII loved coffee and authorised its use.
* Revolutions have been planned in coffee houses, namely the French and the American Revolutions.
* At the end of the 16th century records show there were at least 500 cafes in Istanbul alone. The first European cafes were opened by immigrants from Asia around 1650.
* A coffee tree has a lifespan of about 50 to 70 years.
* The coffee cherries turn from yellow to orange and then bright red, 6 - 8 months after flowering.
* When it is in bloom, the coffee tree is covered with 30,000 white flowers which begin to develop into fruit after 24 - 36 hours.
* A coffee tree can flower eight times in any one year - depending on rainfall.
* There are 900 different flavours of arabica. Complex and very volatile, they deteriorate if exposed to air and light.
* The aromas in coffee develop at the 10th minute of roasting.
* Coffee increases in volume during roasting by 18.60%.

This coffee (see below) also left my house smelling so good for probably 2 hours or so. The Roastery win this month's 'Andy's British Coffee Stamp of Approval of Great Britain.' award.

5 Comments:

Blogger timsamoff said...

Um... Except that it's spelled "Roasterie." Maybe your version is a British thing though? ;)

My favorite coffee is the Roasterie "Red Eye" blend. Delicious!

5:54 AM  
Blogger Andy Michael said...

I was wondering who was going to be the first to spot my deliberate mistake.

Well done Tim!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Tom and Leah said...

is that an official award for coffee? i haven't ever heard of it before(*L). does that make you someone important like the earl of espresso?

8:57 AM  
Blogger Andy Michael said...

I've actually had a few cups of tea in the last few weeks.

Let me say this loud and clear -
I know you are going to be a doctor or whatever, but my blog is not a sounding board for grave facts and warnings about the drinks I consume.

As a doctor, you'll understand this -
I'll punch you in the spleen if you don't stop.

Oh, and then I'll 'teabag' you to death. Like Chuck Norris.


(Someone half explained what this American tradition of 'teabagging' is to me the other week. You Americans are weird!)

9:21 AM  
Blogger Andy Michael said...

That should be "Who's coat is that jacket?"

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home