Friday, December 02, 2005

DNA Questions

I thought this article was worth drawing your attention to. BBC's Horizon documentary tackled this interesting subject.
"Biology stands on the brink of a shift in the understanding of inheritance. The discovery of epigenetics – hidden influences upon the genes – could affect every aspect of our lives.
At the heart of this new field is a simple but contentious idea – that genes have a 'memory'. That the lives of your grandparents – the air they breathed, the food they ate, even the things they saw – can directly affect you, decades later, despite your never experiencing these things yourself. And that what you do in your lifetime could in turn affect your grandchildren."
I have the this Horizon documentary if anyone wants it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy Michael said...

I'll give you 3...and 2 more if you need them.

I think it's certainly interesting to think about the consequences of our actions when you consider the fact that our DNA is passed on.
If I do something harmful to my body today - ie. take a weird and wonderful cocktail of street drugs, my future children might be effected as a result.

Alec, on the other hand, is now passed the point of physically inheriting any traits or complications from me. He's safe biologically from anything I do to my own body at this point.

But, his future sister's biological information is still undecided, depending on whether or not I eat any dodgy kebabs from Dave the Kebab's shop in South East London this Christmas - according to this documentary's contention.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home